As the most important gateway to Tibet, Chengdu operates more than 30 flights between Chengdu and Tibet(Lhasa, Nyingchi, Shigatse and Qamdo) in summer and autumn days from early morning about 6am to late afternoon around 9pm. If you are planning a travel to Tibet, you can choose Chengdu as the flight departing hub because it has a much more frequent flight schedule. While in other cities like Beijing, Xian and Shanghai, it is quite difficult to book flight tickets especially during tourist peak seasons(June to October).
- Distance: 768miles (1286km)
- Flying Duration: about 2.5 hours
- Major Airlines: Air China, Sichuan Airlines, Tibet Airlines
- Frequency: around 12 flights per day
- Flight Type： non-stop flights (mostly)
- Ticket Full Price: 1850 CNY (economy class)
- Airports: Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport (CTU) – Lhasa Gonggar International Airport (LXA)
Why Take Flight to Lhasa from Chengdu
1.Chengdu operates the largest number of flights to Lhasa each day, usually around 12~17 flights each day during April to October, which not only ensure a flexible choices of flights, but also a cheaper fare.
2. It takes only about 2.5 hours to fly to Lhasa from Chengdu, which is much shorter comparing with Beijing (4.5hrs), Xian (3.5hrs), Shanghai (7hrs), and Guangzhou (6hrs).
3. There are many international airlines operating direct flights to Chengdu. You can take flights to Chengdu from Amsterdam, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Frankfurt, London, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Seoul, Tokyo and Singapore, etc. The number of international flights to Chengdu is still growing.
4. Chengdu is well connected to other cities in China, with daily flights arriving from Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Kunming, Xian, Hong Kong, etc.
Chengdu to Lhasa Flights Timetable
||Departure -- Arrival
Lhasa to Chengdu Flights Timetable
There are also about 13 flights to Chengdu from Lhasa each day. Most flights are daily flights. While a few of them fly at a flexible schedule. Check out following latest updated Chengdu to Lhasa flights schedules:
||Departure -- Arrival
Important Notice: 1) Above flight schedules and fares are only for reference, please contact us to catch up on the latest information. But we usually will keep them updated; 2) The airlines companies usually will cut down the flight schedules during winter and spring seasons. There may be no daily flight in some months.
About Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport
Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport (CTU - 成都双流国际机场) is the fourth largest and busiest airport in China. The airport is only about 16km southwest to the center of Chengdu City. Currently Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport is the most important airport in Southwestern China. It serves for both domestic flights and international flights. In 1993, the airport was identified as "International Port Airport" and gained "Visa on arrival” rights in 2000. In 2013, the 72 hour visa-free transit policy was applied to Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport. All these facts make the airport a convenient hub for both international and domestic travel.
Until December 2016, there are 270 flight routes to/off Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport, including 95 international (regional) routes, operating air traffic to 2019 209 domestic and international (regional) destinations.
International Flights to Chengdu
So far travelers can take flights to Chengdu directly from following destinations:
- 1) Europe (Amsterdam, London, Madrid, Frankfurt, Moscow, Paris)
- 2) Australia (Melbourne, Sydney)
- 3) North America (San-Francisco, Los Angeles, Vancouver),
- 4) Africa (Port Louis, Mauritius)
- 5) Middle East (Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Doha)
- 6) East Asia (Seoul, Jeju Island, Tokyo, Osaka, Fukuoka, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Nha Trang, Hanoi, Danang, Bangkok, Suratthani, Phuket, Krabi, Chiang Mao, Saipan, Yangon, Siem Reap)
- 7) Southeast Asia (Kathmandu, Colombo)
- 8) Other regions (Hong Kong, Macau, Taipei, Taichung, Songshan, Kaohsiung) can reach Chengdu directly by flight.
Domestic Flights to Chengdu
Chengdu is fully linked to most destinations in China. The flights to some popular tourist destinations, such as Beijing, Shanghai, Xian, Lhasa, Kunming, are very frequent. Even so, you’d better book the ticket as early as possible because the demands are quite high during peak seasons (May to October)
- 1) Eastern China - Shanghai, Hangzhou, Xiamen, Nanjing, etc;
- 2) Northern China - Beijing, Xian,Hohot, Tianjing, Taiyuan, Luoyang, Lanzhou, Xining, etc;
- 3) Southern China - Guangzhou, Shenzheng, Guilin, Sanya, Kunming, Guiyang, Yichang, etc;
- 4) Western China - Lhasa, Dali, Lijiang, Shangrila, Urumqi, etc
Terminal 1(T1) or Terminal 2(T2)
Travelers have to get to the right terminal to take flight because there are two terminals in Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport. Currently the Terminal 1 only operates flights for Sichuan Airlines and international flights. The rest airlines in China, such as Air China, China Eastern Air, China Southern Air, Shenzhen Airlines, etc, run their flights in the Terminal 2.
Transfer to/off Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport
Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport is only about 16km to the city center. You can take a taxi to the downtown, costing around 20~50 CNY. You can also take the metro line 10 to the downtown areas which is very convenient.
About Lhasa Gonggar International Airport
Lhasa Gonggar International Airport (LXA - 拉萨贡嘎国际机场) is the largest and most important airport in Tibet Autonomous Region. In 2016, the airport has greeted more than 3 million passengers, most of whom are travelers, including thousands of foreigner travelers. The airport is about 62 kilometers (39 mi) southwest of the city in Gonggar County of Shannan Prefecture. The airport is one of the highest airports in the world with an elevation of 3,570 meters (11,710 ft). Airbus A340 and Boeing 757 aircrafts are allowed to land in the airport.
International Flights to Lhasa
So far, there is only one international air line connecting Lhasa: Kathmandu – Lhasa. During summer days, there are daily direct flights operated, sometimes two flights and sometimes just one flight. Only Air China and Sichuan Airlines are operating the Kathmandu - Lhasa flights. To take a flight from Kathmandu to Lhasa, one will need a Group Visa, Tibet Travel Permit and Tibet Border Pass.
Domestic Flights to Lhasa
Lhasa Gonggar Airport is well connected to many cities in China, including Beijing, Chengdu, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Xian, Kunming, Chongqing, Xining, Shangri-La, etc. Among all these cities, Chengdu is the most popular hub for taking flights/off Tibet. There are more than 20 flights flying between Chengdu and Lhasa each day. Xian also operates about 4~6 flights to Lhasa each day.
Transfer to/off Lhasa Gonggar International Airport
Lhasa Gonggar Airport is about 60km from Lhasa downtown. It costs about 100~200 CNY to the Barkhor Street area of Lhasa city. Airport shuttle bus is also available, and costs only about 25 CNY. It usually takes about 1~1.5 hours to transfer between the airport and Lhasa downtown.